Back to school: this fall’s fashion trends

Students’ perspectives on modern fads

Top: Jasper Laur, Malia Murphy, Jen Frisch-Wang, Sheridan Green, Jane Christopherson, Cole Taylor, Peik Spencer. Bottom: Nicole Thomas, Etta McDowell, Josie Carscadden, and Nadine Harrison.

Bella Pedroza

Bella Pedroza

Lila Gill and Bella Pedroza

Many high school students remember their parents nagging them to get ready faster.

“School is not a fashion show! The halls aren’t a runway!” But who says they can’t be?

Some students really take this to heart each morning while getting ready. Fashion at school can be anything from jeans and a sweatshirt to miniskirts and tube tops. Thankfully, the school’s dress code is moderately relaxed, giving students more opportunities to express themselves with clothes.

Jane Christopherson, senior, has a very unique personal style, made up mostly of men’s pants and Hawaiian button downs.

“I wear a lot of different clothes and so I’ll find a certain item and be like ‘I like that, I like that, and I like that,’ so there’s a lot of picking and choosing,” Christopherson said, talking about how she thrifts almost all her clothes.

Christopherson’s androgynous style is easy to contrast with that of Nicole Thomas, junior, whose style is undeniably mistakable for someone you’d see on your Instagram feed. This likely has to do with the stores these two shop at. Christopherson is often found roaming the aisles of Value Village, finding distinctive pieces, while Thomas is more likely to be seen downtown at Pacific Place or in the U-Village.

“I like stores like Urban Outfitters or Nordstrom, I search their new stuff [and] I just find clothes that I like. I also get inspired by people on social media.” Thomas said.

While these two students have vastly different styles, both of them are still considered to be very “trendy,” showing that students have the ability to express their personality with clothes, while still staying up-to-date in the fashion world.

REVIEW

Tube tops are coming back from the 70s, 80s and 90s, like many other current styles. Although people do get mistaken for not wearing shirts, tube tops have pretty much taken over spring and summer looks. Camo pants and cargo pants are another trendy statement piece. While they’re cute and functional, there is definitely a specific time and place to wear them.

Overalls are like the ghost of fourth grades past; they never want to leave the public’s eye.  No one seems to be complaining though. They’re fun all year round. Aneesa Roidad, junior, is a big fan of layering. “I love layering and [my mom] always would tell me as a child to wear layers.” Roidad said, and overalls are perfect for that.

Mini skirts are a very fun current trend. There are so many ways to wear a mini skirt, and so many different styles to portray. A simple denim skirt is vastly different from a plaid one. A black mini skirt could be worn to a night on the town or to school. This makes it really easy to wear them while still having your own unique style.

Bella Pedroza

Nicole Thomas and Marley Rankin.

Cole Taylor and Jane Christopherson.

Bella Pedroza
Malia Murphy and Jasper Laur