Senior friends pursue dance majors after high school

Olivia Anderson and Phoebe Cote plan to study their passion of movement in college

Olivia+Anderson+and+Phoebe+Cote+plan+to+study+their+passion+of+movement+in+college.+
Olivia Anderson and Phoebe Cote plan to study their passion of movement in college.

Julian Whitworth

Julian Whitworth

Niko Newbould, Staff Reporter

Like many dancers, seniors Olivia Anderson and Phoebe Cote started young.  Anderson recalls practicing at many studios from the age of 3 and Cote started at age 5. Both girls expressed their love of dance but agreed that they “didn’t get truly serious until freshman year” Cote said. Together, the two started training at the pre-profession eXit Space School of Dance.

At eXit, the girls trained rigorously throughout their high school careers studying many styles. “Ballet, modern, hip hop and jazz is the focus of the program we’re in. You have to take all of those,” Anderson said.

Come time for application season, both Anderson and Cote knew that applying for schools that would feed their passion of dance had to be a top priority. “For me, when it came to searching for schools I was definitely looking through a dance-centered lens. I searched through this book of arts colleges and dance colleges and I printed out a list of all the schools that has a dance program and I narrowed it down from there.” Anderson said. “I could tell pretty immediately from looking up the dance programs whether or not I’d be interested in being apart of them or not,” Anderson said.

“At first I was really considering Western Michigan University, and so I had to go fly out to Kalamazoo and audition there. It was an all day process, so it was kind of intense, but I got in. I was really excited about it, but I ended up deciding that it was just too far away from home for me. It was a great experience though,” Anderson said about her audition process.

Cote had similar sentiments when it came to picking the right school. “I knew that I really wanted to dance, and I didn’t want to do anything else. I looked at a conservatory in Boston for dance, but ultimately fell in love with Cornish. It’s not a conservatory, so it also offers gen-ed courses which is good, but it’s main focus is on the arts. Cornish is in the city, so it was very convenient to go tour, see their program, and talk to people. It just seemed like the perfect fit.” Cote said.

Both dancers have found ample support from friends and family. They knew that the hard work they’ve put in over the years would pay off, and they aren’t afraid of following a path that lets them practice what they love. That said, they have faced some criticism from peers who may not take their aspirations seriously. “I’ve had people ask me what would you do with a dance degree. Honestly I have no idea, but I might as well go for what I’m interested in, and I’ll figure out the rest from there.” Anderson said. Clearly, they won’t let anything deter them from their goals.

As high school comes to a close this semester, all seniors are filled with a shared excitement and fear about what’s to come. Cote is no different when it comes to this feeling. “I have no idea where dance is going to take me in the future. I’m interested in choreography, but I really don’t know. I want to see where it will take me. I know it’ll be in my life forever,” Cote said.

Cote is going to Cornish College of the Arts and Anderson is going to the University of Washington.