The magician reveals his secrets

Student helps start magic club

Back to Article
Back to Article

The magician reveals his secrets

Freshman Max Voronin and his friend Neo Kita, started a magic club together in hopes that they would be able to share their experiences.

Piper Sloan

Piper Sloan

Piper Sloan

Piper Sloan, Cub Reporter

His head and neck are hunched as he sits, bending over his desk, his hand and wrist shaking with intensity as he scrambles to finish.

Short, static motions.

A sigh, a mutter, his head and neck sink down slightly before he looks up into the ceiling, defeat in his eyes. He has made a mistake and he knows it.

But he continues, he understands perseverance. Simple, straight, movements as he tries to cover up his mistake. Despite what people think about this honors student, this is not where he belongs.

Freshman Max Voronin wasn’t meant for static, unchanging motions of frantic pencils on paper. He was meant for flourishes, the flash of lights, the smooth, natural, exaggerated movements of circus and magic.

“I practically did [magic] when I was born,” Voronin said.

Voronin’s has been performing all his life. With a family comprised of magicians and contortionists, his life has never lacked excitement. He strives to spread that excitement to those around him.

This year [freshman] Voronin and his friend Neo Kita, started a magic club together in hopes that they would be able to share their experiences.

“The reactions after I finish a trick makes me really happy, because not only did it make them happy, it made me happy that I was able to accomplish it,” Voronin said. “That’s why I actually started magic club, because I wanted people to experience what Neo and I experience.”

“It’s really fun and it’s a great thing to learn,” Voronin said.  “It’s a piece of work…you just have to keep going and keep trying and you’ll get there.”

“He’s very dramatic in a sense,” Kita said, “theatrical would be the word.”

Its no wonder Voronin acts theatrical. Currently he is involved in Cirrus Circus, an intense circus training program for teens. According to sancaseattle.org, it is for teens 12-18 years old, those who make it past the audition get to participate in a variety of activities, including acrobats, aerial, juggling, tightwire, unicycling and more.

“He’s a great magician,” freshman and member of magic club Lauren DuPuis said. “He’s a really good teacher, but still a student himself.”

They display these skills at year round performances as part of SANCA (The School of Acrobatics and New Circus Arts) shows. People have performed at the London International Youth Circus Festival, at No Fit State in Cardiff, Wales and Island Circus in Sylt, Germany.

“I’ve performed in Argentina with my dad,” Voronin said. “I’m right now doing Cirrus Circus. I’ve done Moisture Festival and Moscow. I’ve travelled a bit and performed.”

Voronin also does performances with his dad in the summer as part of Teatro Zinzanni, a circus and dinner theatre. He performs alongside some of the most famous magicians, acrobats, trapeze artists and contortionists. There he does a magic act with his dad known as the “Newspaper Act”, a comedic play on the student becoming the master.

For now Voronin is sticking to sharing magic with the people in school and in Magic Club, hoping to spread the joy and sense of satisfaction that he feels when he performs a trick.

A deck of cards in hand, his eyes are focused and the motions come to him as easily as breathing comes to others. The people around him stand awkward and uncomfortable holding back laughter, trying to remain focused and thinking on to the next step.

Not him.

Prepared and focused he takes a stand and leads by example.

His back is straight, his shoulders loose as he performs his trick. His fingers move in elongated and fluid motions.

No rush, no stress. There is no stumbling on words, no sighs of defeat; focused and ready he puts on a show. A flourish, and a smile, and the audience is amazed.