Multicultural Club provides safe space for students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Multicultural Club Co-President, Trinity Cho, shows a video from last year’s Multicultural Week at a January meeting. Members will start planning for this year’s Multicultural Week soon.

Miles Whitworth

Miles Whitworth

Miles Whitworth

Elsa Anderson, Staff Reporter

In a predominantly white school in a predominantly white neighborhood, multiculturalism and inclusion is extremely important. Students need a place where they can feel safe. Members of Multicultural Club have found a community within one another.

“As a club, I think our most important thing is creating a space for students of color to feel safe, especially in a predominantly white school,” one of the club’s presidents, junior Trinity Cho said. “It’s just a place to build community, and to also voice importance of racial equality, multiculturalism, and why that’s important in a school setting.”

Cho joined last year after receiving an invitation from her older sister. She was also involved in making videos for Multicultural Club last year. As one of the only returning members, she is determined to build Multicultural Club into a community.

“Every time we have a meeting or we meet as a club,everything is so easy,” she said. “Last year we grew really close as a committee. So the returners, there’s only three people, have been trying to create that again with a new group of people.”

It seems that their efforts have been successful.

“I think Multicultural Club, for me, is really about making friends and making connections with people from all different places and different backgrounds,” sophomore Marlowe Barrington said. “My favorite part is coming and seeing people that I look up to because there’s a lot of upperclassmen that are really cool. I just like being in that space where you don’t have to worry.”

Barrington enjoys going to weekly meetings where members can talk about issues that are important to them. “Usually, we just  kind of get together and talk about what’s been on our minds. We listen to music and just kind of hang out, draw, play games, do homework, and plan future meetings and events for the club.”

“Our main event is Multicultural Week in February, and at the end of the week we have an all school assembly so most of our prep starting very soon will be going towards Multicultural Week,” Cho said.

Last year’s assembly included performances from Folklorico (a Latino dance group), Breakdancing Club, Franklin High School’s Polynesian Club and a Kung Fu demonstration.

“No matter what the setting is, comparing, for example, Ballard High School to Garfield or Franklin, multiculturalism is very important and it’s important to respect and celebrate different cultures, even if they aren’t widely represented at Ballard,” Cho said.

“It’s all about discussing what’s happening in the world and embracing your culture, but at the same time, it’s a personal experience,” Barrington said. “I feel like it’s a safe space for everyone. I feel like that’s what people should know about it the most. Anyone can come and be welcome there, especially students of color.”