Taylor Iverson’s history of musical involvement in school and out

Choir student teacher on her journey to teach and her future plans

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student teacher Taylor Iverson conducting students in order to prepare for the choirs' upcoming Winter Concert.

Alex Putnam

Alex Putnam

Alex Putnam

Elsa Anderson, Staff Reporter

Choir student teacher Taylor Iverson first heard the Ballard choir perform a couple years ago. That performance is what led her to want to student-teach at Ballard.  “They sounded so amazing. They were just energetic and they just didn’t sound like a high school choir. And I just thought, ‘Okay, I gotta be at this school,’” she said.

Iverson, a student at Western Washington University, is majoring in music education. “I will be certified to teach P-12 chorale and general music,” she said. But she has hopes to teach choir. “I don’t really have a preference for what age, but ideally I would love to teach a high school choir.”

Music is something that has been a part of her life for a long time. “I’ve been involved in choir since I was really young. Church choir is where I started and then I did community choirs. I did band in middle school, as well as community choir,” she said as she waved goodbye to a student. “I started doing choir in high school because my dad was my high school choir teacher.”

She first met choir director Courtney Rowley when Iverson came to Ballard as part of a choir exchange program when she was in high school.  “Ms. Rowley is just tenacious and energetic. She’s just talented,” Iverson said.

Rowley shares the admiration for Iverson. “She is a wonderful musician and has been doing some great work with these kids,” Rowley said when she introduced Iverson at the concert.

Despite her long history with music, Iverson continues to be amazed by Ballard’s choirs.“I’ve been most surprised by all the students’ knowledge of vocal pedagogy. Ms. Rowley is amazing with vocal pedagogy, but the students seem to have an understanding of what’s happening physically with the voice, and it’s really impressive. A lot of college students don’t even know really what’s going on.”

In anticipation of the Oct. 26 concert, she said, “I’m just excited for everyone in the audience to see the amazing things that have been happening at Ballard. I just think everyone is so talented and wonderful and it’s just really exciting to be able to share that tonight.” Though she looks forward to the students sharing their music, she wishes the audience could talk to the students. “I mean, they sound great, but, I don’t know, I wish they could come up and meet everyone.”