Award-winning office professional discusses her career

Vivian Belcher shares on her work life.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Administrative Secretary Vivian Belcher recently won the 2015 Washington State Educational Office Professional of the Year award.

Ruby Stauffer

Ruby Stauffer

Ruby Stauffer

Grace Harmon, Staff Reporter

In light of her recent winning of the 2015 Washington State Educational Office Professional of the Year award, Vivian Belcher, Ballard’s Administrative Secretary, spoke with the Talisman of her variety of careers and the value she’s gained from them.

How do you feel your last two years as Administrative Secretary have been?

Vivian Belcher: They’ve been great, I’ve been really getting to know more of the staff, and to understand the Ballard Beaver way. I’ve been becoming more a part of the Ballard community as a staff member versus as a parent.

When did your children graduate?

VB: My oldest son graduated in 2004, my next in 2006 and my daughter in 2009.

You’ve also spent over 20 years in the Seattle Public School system. How else have you spent that time?

VB: I’ve spent a lot of time in the system, I was at Blaine Elementary for 11 years.

How did that compare to your experience at Ballard?

VB: High school is better. In a K-8 you have kindergarteners that are crying, eighth graders trying to figure out how they fit in, whereas in high school for the most part you guys have figured it out. You’re becoming young adults, and for the most part act as such.

You’ve also done a fair amount of work in the community. How has that been, and how has it affected you?

I’ve worked as a bag checker at Seahawks games for the last eight years. It makes me more well-rounded in the community, and it makes me have a connection with the Sounders and the Seahawks. I promote that here at school, I’m totally into the Seahawk Fridays.

You were a flight attendant with Alaska Airlines for 26 years. What made you decide to make the switch from that into the school system?

VB: Health reasons; I had an air quality incident on a flight and just couldn’t get rid of the headaches. I miss that job though. I had previously been PTA everything at Loyal Heights [Elementary], and their secretary called me one day in 2001 asking for me to be a substitute. I filled out the paperwork, and that day started subbing [sic]. I’ve been in the school district ever since.

What have you taken away from your career so far, from so many different jobs and experiences?

VB: They’re all customer service related, so I think I have very strong customer service skills, and I know the value of it. No matter who the person is, you want them to feel welcome in your environment, be it an airplane, a school office or a stadium. I’d say that’s my strength.