The grave consequences of trickle-down environomics

Editorial Board

When apathy rises faster than the water levels, arguing that anything should be done to protect the environment is tough to say the least. The nauseating mix of over-seasoned celebrity gossip paired with hostile executive orders and finished with a slew of Spicer’s Special Sauce (Ingredients include: tantrums, denial and slanting the truth) has turned 2017’s news media from a disgusting meal to the daily slop of gruel that we accept as terms of our citizenship. However, in the revolting buffet of Trump administration policies, none are so offensive as the promises to deplete and destroy the few-remaining protections to the environment.

Unlike the majority of presidential policies which can be restored or revoked by the succeeding administration, rolling back environmental protection laws has consequences that make low approval ratings look as petty as counting social media followers. The first consequences will be the acid rain, followed quickly by diminishing of water sources in developing countries (Lake Chad for example has shrunk 90 percent in the last 30 years), which leads to internal conflict that prevents industrialization, hurting developing economies far more than the Paris agreement’s so-called restrictions could.

A strong case is made by deniers of climate change, though. How could us liberal hippies possibly tell the hard-working blue collar workers of the world that their humble jobs in the energy industrial complex should be taken away and regarded as obsolete?

But cutting a few thousand energy jobs doesn’t nearly equate to the imminent destruction of the entire planet. In fact, by directing funds out of the pockets of billionaires and into retraining programs for displaced workers, the government would be investing greatly into the future of clean energy.

The issue of the environment has no political motives, only political solutions. The rising seas and temperatures won’t take the time to distinguish between sides of the aisle. No matter who decides to kill it, the climate’s quickening death will affect us all.